The average longevity of human beings has increased due to medical advancements over time, and so have and stress, anxiety, pollution, types of diseases in the world. It is high time we focus on overall wellness in our lives. The Global Wellness Institute defines wellness as the active pursuit of activities, choices, and lifestyles that lead to a state of holistic health. It means taking responsibility for our choices about how we fuel our body, engage our mind, and nurture our spirit. These choices are also a function of our physical, social, and cultural environment. Wellness has multiple dimensions –
- Physical: Caring for your body to stay healthy now and in the future through exercise, nutrition, sleep, etc.
- Intellectual: Staying curious, acquiring new knowledge and skills, problem-solving, and sharing knowledge with others
- Emotional: Understanding and respecting your feelings, values, and attitudes. Appreciating other’s feelings. Managing your emotions and staying positive and enthusiastic about life
- Spiritual: Finding purpose, value, and meaning in your life and participating in activities that are consistent with your beliefs and values
- Social: Building and maintaining healthy relationships, enjoying companionship, caring about others, letting others care about you and contributing to your community
- Occupational: Contributing your unique gifts, skills, and talents to work that is personally meaningful and rewarding
- Financial: Managing your resources to live within your means, making informed financial decisions and investments, setting realistic goals, and preparing for short-term and long-term needs or emergencies
- Environmental: Understanding how your social, natural, and built environments affect your health and well-being. Demonstrating a commitment to a healthy planet
How actively do you pursue your wellness? Which of the above dimensions is the strongest for you? Which areas would you like to improve? Which of your strengths will you leverage to enhance your wellness? Which of your impulses will you target controlling to achieve your goals? What are the new habits that you will develop to succeed? What strategies will you adopt? How will you monitor, measure, and reward your progress? Who can help you in this journey? What support do you need?
Do not target perfection. Just get started. Share your journey with us and if you need help, reach out.